Basics of visTABLE® Object Manager
Functions and tasks of visTABLE®Object Manager
visTABLE® Object Manager manages all parts of the visTABLE® Model Library which are built up by the users themselves (user library). The basic tasks are:
- Creation, renaming and deletion of User Catalogs;
- Import of 2D and 3D data for layout objects, e.g. machines, systems and installations, or equipment from third-party or visTABLE®-inherent source formats;
- Export of user catalogs (.vtc) and models (.vtm) for exchange with users who use a model library at a different storage location;
- Managing of own models, e.g. by moving, copying, deleting and modifying or adding model properties;
- Merging and optimization of modules created in visTABLE®touch by way of the so-called Merging function;
- Selection of the Shared Library that can also be used by several users.
Structure of the visTABLE®Model Library
It is basically possible to distribute the model library over several storage locations in the Windows® file system. The result are sublibraries. A library comprises one or several catalogs that, in turn, comprise one or several models.
The Model Library of visTABLE®touch displays all catalogs of the standard library and all user catalogs. User catalogs comprise both all catalogs from the part My Library (which are stored locally on the hard disk of the user) and all catalogs in a shared library.
The visTABLE® software package comprises a standard part and parts of the Model Library which can be managed and extended by the user; some of them are stored in freely selectable folders in the Windows® file system.
- The standard part (=Standard Library) comprises the standard catalogs that cover many practical tasks in layout planning by way of 3D models. Standard catalogs are stored locally and continuously extended and improved by plavis. They are part of the scope of supply of the visTABLE®touch software and its updates.
- The part managed by the user (User Library) is empty when the software is delivered. This part can be complemented by user catalogs. User catalogs are the catalogs contained in My Library and (where appropriate) additional user catalogs of a shared library; they are highlighted in visTABLE®touch by way of a small icon at the catalog name.
The standard library as part of the standard scope of supply cannot be modified by the user. The standard catalogs can therefore not be accessed from the visTABLE® Object Manager. The standard catalogs can only be used in visTABLE®touch.
visTABLE®touch can be used to manage up to two storage locations of user libraries at the same time.
- The standard storage location is My Library. It is a central storage location that cannot be changed. Catalogs and models of this part of the library are only available on the local computer, not to other users.
- It is possible to add a shared folder or local folder for a shared library as a second storage location. When switching between these two folders, the data contained therein remain unchanged (cf. Managing Libraries).
If you wish a shared folder to be selected as a shared library, it must be permanently available. This is the only way to guarantee that the 3D view can access the models referenced in the layout. If a layout is opened which references to a model from a folder which is not available, the 3D view will only display blue placeholders.
If you delete models or catalogs, this may under certain circumstances affect the work of other users, in particular if the deleted models or catalogs are located in a shared library which is also used by other users. After a model has been deleted from the library, the object in the layout still references to the still existing data. The model itself, however, can no longer be found via the visTABLE® Model Library and can therefore no longer be inserted into layouts by using the drag-and-drop method. Deletion is therefore only deemed reasonable for models and catalogs that are no longer to be used by any user.